Archdiocese of Denver Liturgical Calendar & Notes for 2018
Liturgical Calendar 2018
Catholics are obliged to attend Holy Mass on the following holy days of obligation:
- Wednesday, August 15, 2018 Solemnity of the Assumption of BVM
- Thursday, November 1, 2018 Solemnity of All Saints
- Saturday, December 8, 2018 Solemnity of the Immaculate Conception
- Tuesday, December 25, 2018 Solemnity of the Nativity of Our Lord
Nota Bene for 2018 Liturgical Calendar
- Vigil Masses said before 4:00 p.m. will not fulfill one’s Holy Day/Sunday Obligation 
- Observance of the Solemnity of the Ascension of the Lord is transferred to the Seventh Sunday of Easter, May 13, 2018.
- “The entire celebration of the Easter Vigil takes place at night. It should not begin before nightfall; it should end before daybreak on Sunday” (Roman Missal). On March 31, 2018 according to United States Naval Observatory Sun and Moon Data, Nautical twilight ends at 7:22 p.m. (MDT). The Easter Vigil should not begin until 7:30 p.m.
Liturgical Celebrations Proper to the Archdiocese of Denver:
Tuesday May 15 Saint Isidore the Farmer (Obligatory Memorial)
Wednesday May 16 Our Lady of Light (Optional Memorial)
Monday September 10 St. John Francis Regis (Obligatory Memorial)
Thursday October 4 Saint Francis of Assisi (Feast)
Saturday October 27 Anniversary of Dedication of Cathedral (Feast)
Tuesday November 6 Blessed Rupert Mayer, S.J. (Obligatory Memorial)
Tuesday November 13 Saint Frances Xavier Cabrini (Feast)
Wednesday December 12 Our Lady of Guadalupe (Feast)
Special Commemorations and Days of Prayer Proper to the Archdiocese of Denver:
Monday January 1 World Justice and Peace & General Needs of Humankind
Monday January 22 Human Rights and Equality
Wednesday February 28 Episcopal Ordination, James Francis Cardinal Stafford (1976)
Tuesday May 15 Harvest and Fruits of the Earth
Tuesday May 29 Appointment, Archbishop Samuel J. Aquila (2012)
Wednesday July 18 Installation, Archbishop Samuel J. Aquila (2012)
Saturday August 4 Priests and Seminarians
Friday August 10 Deacons and Candidates for the Diaconate
Friday August 24 Episcopal Ordination, Archbishop Samuel J. Aquila (2001)
Sat.-Wed. December 8-12 Days of Prayer to the Blessed Virgin Mary*
*under the title of the Immaculate Conception, Principal Patroness of the Archdiocese of Denver.
 Universal Norms on the Liturgical Year and the General Roman Calendar nos. 3 and 11. Each and every day is sanctified by the liturgical celebrations of the People of God, especially by the Eucharistic Sacrifice and the Divine Office. The liturgical day runs from midnight to midnight. However, the celebration of Sunday and of Solemnities begins already on the evening of the previous day.