The following is the information and necessary paperwork to begin the process for the investigation for a declaration of nullity in accordance with Can. 1683 of the Code of Canon Law promulgated on the 15th of August 2015 by Pope Francis through the Muto Proprio Mitis Iudex.
Formal Briefer Matrimonial Process for Declaration of Nullity – Checklist
- Joint Libellus, or Libellus with Respondent’s Signed Consent
- Mandate for Canonical Advocate
- Petitioner’s Statement of Agreement
- List of Witnesses
- Proofs (Parish Investigation)
- Marriage Certificate
- Divorce Decree
- Baptismal Certificates of the Catholic Party(ies)
- Payment agreement
The Parish investigation
In the Briefer Process Can. 1684 States that “The libellus introducing the briefer process, in addition to those things enumerated in can. 1504, must: 1° set forth briefly, fully, and clearly the facts on which the petition is based; 2° indicate the proofs, which can be immediately collected by the judge; 3° exhibit the documents, in an attachment, upon which the petition is based.”
Proofs can be in form of:
- Statements from Petitioner, and/or Respondent.
- Witnesses statements and or witness list
- Any other documentary proofs available.