Pope Francis recently stated, “Abortion is more than an issue. Abortion is murder… It’s a human life, period. This human life must be respected.” (Sept. 15, 2021)
But today, the abortion industry and its supporters are pushing one of the most extreme national abortion bills this country has ever seen, and doing it under the lie that abortion is a form of healthcare that must be protected and promoted.
As Pope Francis stated, “Don’t continue with (these) strange discussions.”
Let us be clear, the “Women’s Health Protection Act” (WHPA), which was introduced recently in the U.S. House of Representatives, is not about protecting women’s health. Instead, it opens the doors to on-demand abortions being performed at all stages of pregnancy, in all 50 states. It is truly one of the most radical attacks on life we have ever seen. It is also a radical attack against the dignity of women. If passed, the bill would:
- Allow pre-viability abortions in every state with absolutely no restrictions or regulations.
- Allow post-viability abortions to be performed by “good faith” health care providers who deem there could be the potential of any risk, no matter how insignificant, to the mother. This amounts to basically a meaningless restriction for the abortion industry, and even more troubling, there is nothing that requires or even encourages the viable baby to be delivered.
- Invalidate the pro-life laws of individual states that have been passed by the will of its voters, even including laws that require reasonable things like parental notification and health and safety regulations.
- Allow for taxpayer funding and government facilities to be used for abortion.
- Remove conscience protections for individuals, employers and institutions like the Church that refuse to in any way participate in performing, providing, referring, or funding abortions.
- Allow individuals, employers, and institutions to be sued for violations of the WHPA.
The Church is clear that all abortion is evil, and it is true that laws and regulations will go only so far in protecting the unborn. We no doubt have much work to do to change the hearts and minds of those who view abortion as something to be valued, especially among those who claim to follow Jesus Christ. However, the WHPA will put thousands of vulnerable lives at risk, and it must be prevented from becoming law. As Mother Teresa famously said, abortion is the greatest threat to world peace; it destroys the life of the child and the conscience of the mother. Furthermore, it destroys the conscience of those legislators who vote for it, the health care workers who perform them, and undermines the dignity of all human beings.
Please join me in urging your elected representatives to vote ‘No’ on this heinous attack on innocent life. I also ask you to join me in supporting the many great organizations that provide actual compassionate care for pregnant women, mothers, parents, and families and not the abortion industry!
Let us pray for an end to abortion, a conversion of heart in our country, and that all life might be valued from conception to natural death.
-Archbishop Samuel J. Aquila
For more information:
- Action Alert: Contact Your Senator
- Letter from Archbishop Joseph Naumann, Chairman, USCCB Committee on Pro-Life Activities
- USCCB Fact Sheet on “Women’s Health Protection Act”