The Office of Catholic Schools in the Archdiocese of Denver is a designated agency by the Colorado Department of Education (CDE) eligible to provide an Alternative Teacher Licensing Program for teachers employed in Catholic schools.
To participate in this program:
1) A candidate must complete and submit a teacher application packet to the Office of Catholic Schools.
2) The candidate must be hired as a full-time teacher in the Archdiocese of Denver Catholic Schools system.
3) The candidate must apply to the CDE for an Alternative License. More information about the application and program may be found at https://www.cde.state.co.us/cdeprof/checklist-alt_teacher.
4) The candidate will be assigned a trained mentor and will participate in the Alternative Teacher Licensing Program through the Office of Catholic Schools in partnership with Regis University. Candidates will attend the informational meeting in June, a series of full-day classes (two in the month of August and one full-day session one month during the academic year), remaining half-day classes, usually one per month, offered by staff from Regis University. Candidates will also have a series of visits and observations by a Regis University Education Department staff member.
5) The cost of the Alternative Teacher Licensing Program for approved candidates is a minimum of $1,500 and may be paid in installments to Regis University.
6) Approved, newly hired alternative licensure teachers must attend the Archdiocese of Denver Catholic Schools New Teacher Induction/Orientation held in August for the upcoming school year.
Candidates may be hired by a Catholic school in the Archdiocese of Denver prior to taking the PLACE or PRAXIS test, and/or prior to receiving the Statement of Eligibility. Candidates must apply to the Colorado Department of Education to participate in the Alternative Teacher Licensing Program.
Alternative Licensure Program:
June 2019 date to be announced
August 2019 dates to be announced
Regis University (DTC Campus)
6380 South Fiddlers Green Circle, Ste. 200, Greenwood Village, CO 80111
Sessions begin promptly at 8:00 a.m. and should wrap up by 4:00 p.m.