Diocese: August 16, 1887;
Archdiocese: November 15, 1941
25 counties of northern Colorado (Adams, Arapahoe, Boulder, Bromfield, Clear Creek, Denver, Eagle, Garfield, Gilpin, Grand, Jackson, Jefferson, Larimer, Logan, Moffat, Morgan, Phillips, Pitkin, Rio Blanco, Routt, Sedgwick, Summit, Washington, Weld, Yuma)
Most Reverend Samuel J. Aquila (uh-QUILL-uh)
Installed as the 8th Bishop of Denver on July 18, 2012
Most Reverend Jorge Rodríguez
Ordained as Auxiliary Bishop of Denver on November 4, 2016
Cathedral Basilica of the Immaculate Conception
1530 Logan Street, Denver, CO
BY THE NUMBERS
CATHOLICS IN THE ARCHDIOCESE OF DENVER – 15.7% OF TOTAL POPULATION
(Source: The Official Catholic Directory 2021)
PARISHES, STATIONS & MISSION PARISHES
(Sisters, Nuns, Monks, Brothers…)
149 PARISHES AND CHURCHES
- That operate food banks & soup kitchens, hold clothing & toy drives, provide grocery or emergency assistance, and donate to other local efforts.
- Offer mental health and counseling services, host Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) and addiction support groups, and participate in “Respect Life” outreach.
- Celebrate the sacraments with hundreds of thousands of Catholics every year.
- Provide religious education for almost 20,000 kids.
- Volunteers donate over 70,000 hours to help serve over 113,000 people a year.
- Shelters provide 500,000 meals & 190,000 nights of emergency/transitional shelter.
- 1700 affordable housing units; 440,000 free diapers; $6.3 million in emergency assistance.
- Educate nearly 12,000 kids a year, saving taxpayers approximately $120,000,000 a year.
- Employ over 1,100 educators.
- Seeds of Hope provides over $2 million in scholarships to almost 1,000 students.
CENTRO JUAN SAN DIEGO
- Over 1,150 students in ESL, GED, computer, citizenship, financial and university classes.
- Provides almost 1,400 free legal consultations and over 500 free tax returns.
- Society of St. Vincent de Paul: 32 conferences that serve 21,000 people a year with rent, utilities, food, clothing, eldercare, and other types of assistance. Estimated $3.6 million in total assistance in 2019.
- Christ in the City: 25,000+ hours of direct homeless ministry, including over 20,000 meals served every year.
- Catholic Cemeteries: Provide “Precious Lives” burials for over 300 babies a year, and social service burials for over 200 people including 99% for City of Denver.
- Catholic Jail & Prison Ministry: Serves 800 people a week at almost 40 locations.
- Catholic Campaign for Human Development: Distributed nearly $500,000 to local non-profits that serve low-income areas; $600,000 distributed to world-wide projects that serve the poor.