Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions


How do I get a copy of my baptismal, confirmation or marriage certificate?

You must contact the church that administered the sacrament. If you do not know which church, or the church has been closed, contact the Archives Office at 303-715-3144.

The parish where I received my Sacrament (s) has since closed, how do I get a copy of my records?

If you were baptized, confirmed or married at St. Patrick’s in Denver, St. Leo’s in Denver,Our Lady of Sorrows in Eastlake or Mercy Hospital then you will need to contact the archives at 303-715-3144.  If you were baptized, confirmed or married at St. Philomena’s or St. John the Evangelist in Denver then you need to contact Church of the Good Shepherd at 303-322-7706.

Where can I find First Communion Records?

The archives do not hold any First Communion Records. If those records exist they can be found at the parish in which the Sacrament was received.

I was baptized in a hospital how do I get a copy of my record?

If you were baptized at St. Joseph’s Hospital or St. Anthony’s Hospital then you need to contact the Pastoral/Spiritual Care centers at those hospitals for your records.  If you were baptized at Mercy Hospital or received and Emergency baptism at another Denver area hospital then please contact the Archives 303-715-3144

How do I get a copy of my Catholic school records?

You must contact the school directly.  If it is a closed grade school, then contact the parish office for that school or see the list on the web under transcript requests.  If it is a closed High School please contact the archives at 303-715-3144, there is a $10 fee for each transcript requested.

I was baptized in Southern Colorado, who do I contact for my records?

The Diocese of Pueblo covers the counties of: Kiowa, Prowers, Bent, Baca, Las Animas, Huerfano, Pueblo, Crowley, Fremont, Custer, Costilla, Alamosa, Conejos, Saguache, Rio Grande, Mineral, Archuleta, Hinsdale, La Plata, Montezuma, Dolores, San Miguel, Montrose, Delta, Mesa and they can be reached at 719-544-9861

The Diocese of Colorado Springs covers the counties of: Lake, Chaffee, Park, Teller, El Paso, Lincoln, Cheyenne, Elbert and Douglas and they can be reached at 719-636-2345

How do I get information about an adoption?

Contact Catholic Charities 303-742-0828

May I search sacramental records for genealogical purposes?

Only records older than 1930 are available for genealogical research.

Is there a cost for doing genealogical research?

Yes, the first 30 minutes are free after that is $20 per hour regardless if anything is found or not.  Payment will be made before any copies are released

Who has historical information about the Archdiocese of Denver?

The Archives Office and Denver Catholic Register (303-715-3215) are good places to begin searches for historical information.

What information is needed to have a genealogical search done?

The Archivist needs the following information:

  • Name of the child
  • Date of Birth
  • Father’s Surname
  • Mother’s Maiden Name
  • The address where the family was living

Can I get a certificate for a relative that is deceased?

No, the only person who has a right to a certificate or certified copy of a record is the person for whom the record pertains.  As a baptismal certificate is a recognized legal identity record we will not provide certificates for anyone that is deceased.

What hours are the archives open?

The Archives is not a publicly accessible facility and is open by appointment only at the discretion of the archivist for approved scholarly research only.